Website Design donated by: 

Fulton's Home Hardware
Fortis Alberta
McKee Homes Airdrie Logo
Sorso Espresso and Wine Bar Logo

We are grateful for the support of these fine businesses and organizations in our community!

Lowe's Canada Logo
Homegrown Airdrie Logo

Airdrie P.O.W.E.R.

Diamond View Car Wash and Pet Wash
Cream Body and Bath Logo
Byoode Bar
Airdrie Dodge
Century Downs Racetrack and Casino
Airdrie Lioness Club
Airdrie Dental Choice
Defeat Depression Airdrie Logo
Healthy Meals Made Easy Logo
Human Kanvas Tattoo and Piercing
Rockyview Rollers
Back to Home Page
Ziva and Em Boutique Logo
Rotary Club of Airdrie
Access Chiropractic and Wellness
Kiwanis Airdrie Foothills

When an Emergency Women's Shelter is Not An Option...


Many people ask, “Why doesn’t she leave? Why doesn’t she just go to a shelter?” The reasons are complex and varied due to factors such as fear, hope, love, lack of support, lack of resources, and guilt. The risk of homicide at the hands of a violent partner increases when the decision is made to leave. Emergency Women's shelters are few and far between, and are often unavailable due to the high need in the community. There is no emergency women’s shelter in Airdrie, so women who do go to shelters have to leave their communities and support systems.


Approximately 5% of women will access an emergency women's shelter. What about the other 95%? That's where we come in!


Introducing the Airdrie P.O.W.E.R. Day Shelter


The Airdrie P.O.W.E.R. Day Shelter, the first of its kind in North America, aims to fulfil the needs of women and children affected by domestic violence that are currently unmet by other agencies. It is a safe, non-judgmental place where women and children can take a few hours during the day to relax, make plans, and access formal supports.  It is not a formal overnight shelter, but is a safe haven to escape for a few hours to make plans and make connections.


​Accessing formal support from police, counsellors, and other professionals can be daunting, or just seem out of reach to someone experiencing domestic violence. In the heat of the moment, it may be hard to process everything that is available on one's own. The Airdrie P.O.W.E.R. Day Shelter bridges the gap between informal supports (friends and family) and formal supports (police, community agencies), and provides step by step guidance for each person's unique situation.


Safety First! We will never send anyone home to a dangerous situation. If an emergency shelter is unavailable, we will help make alternate arrangements for accommodation.


How The Day Shelter Fits Into the Community












 


Day Shelter Services include:

  • Drop-in informal support - Airdrie P.O.W.E.R. staff and volunteers can help with navigating the options and services available to help.
  • Safe place to make plans and connections - Leaving an abusive situation can be a long process, and personal phones and computers are either unavailable, or traced by the abuser. The Day Shelter provides access to telephones and computers, so women can contact family, police, formal supports, and search for work/alternative living arrangements.​ The Day Shelter will be equipped with a state-of-the-art security system because safety is our priority.  
  • Women Helping Women essentials package program -  For those who are leaving their home in a hurry, Airdrie P.O.W.E.R. provides purses filled with the essentials, such as toiletries, feminine hygiene products, gift cards for groceries or gas, and comfort items. 

Our Mission:

Airdrie P.O.W.E.R. (Protecting Our Women with Emergency Resources) is a non-profit organization that seeks to provide women in Airdrie and District with the means to leave an abusive environment through emergency resources, education and empowerment, thus creating a safe and sustainable community.​​​